Screening programs provide an opportunity for General Practices to play a key role in the early detection and management of a range of cancers. Most notably, breast, bowel and cervical, all of which have well established screening regimes and nationally supported programs.
The Primary Health Network is committed to working alongside General Practices to improve cancer screening participation rates and reduce the risk of cancers within targeted population groups.
Here you will find resources and information to assist your practice establish accurate cancer screening participation rates, identify patients who are overdue or never screened, implement effective patient engagement strategies, and develop robust recall and reminder systems.
Amy Callinan is the PHN support lead for Cancer Screening. Amy can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org or through your Primary Care Improvement Officer.
Data and Dashboard
Community of Practice
Join the Cancer Screening Community of Practice
- This PHN’s Communities of Practice are open to primary care providers within the Hunter, New England & Central Coast Primary Health Network region to share ideas and resources to support quality improvement activities.
- Anyone associated with a primary care organisation in the HNECC region is welcome to request membership of the Primary Care QI CoP.
- Evidence of employment in a primary care organisation or evidence of working closely with primary care clinicians will be required.
- Please note that any resources contributed to this site can be viewed by members of that CoP and by sharing them you agree that others can use and adapt them freely.
To join the Community of practice for Cancer Screening, please email Amy Callinan at email@example.com.
- Guidelines for Preventive Activities in General Practice
- National guide to a Preventative Health Assessment for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
- Position Statement: Non-GP initiated testing.
- National Bowel Cancer Screening Program
- National Cervical Cancer Screening Program
- Breast Screen NSW
- Using the bowel screening home kit
- Information pack for health professionals.
- NSW Cancer Plan
- NSW Primary Health Care Cancer Framework
- Report for Better Outcomes Cancer Control
- Do the Test
- Screening and early detection.
- Frequently Asked Questions: COVID-19 vaccines for people affected by cancer.
- Just Checking
- Education and Training.
- BreastScreen NSW services
- Information for Health Professionals.
- Cervical Screening Comfort Checklist.
- National Cervical Screening Program.