Bounce into better health & wellbeing
Streamline healthy lifestyle checks and consultations in primary health care with Bounce into Better Health and Wellbeing!
Discussing the benefits of a healthy weight as part of routine care is important.
Being overweight, obese or underweight is associated with higher rates of morbidity and is now a major public health issue in Australia. Being overweight and obese is a risk factor for Type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease, hypertension, osteoarthritis, some cancers and gallbladder disease. It is also associated with certain psychosocial problems, functional limitations and disabilities. As such, treatment goals should focus on improved health rather than weight loss alone.
For children and adolescents, weight management should focus on changing the health behaviours that influence weight – dietary behaviours and physical activity.
Discussing the benefits of a healthy weight is part of the routine care of people who are overweight or obese or at risk of chronic disease.
However, raising the issue of someone’s weight status can be challenging and it can be hard to start these sensitive conversations.
Bounce Into Better Health and Wellbeing supports primary health care professionals to initiate conversations about healthy weight in a sensitive and non-stigmatising way.
Having these conversations will help create opportunities for early intervention and disease prevention activities. Try one of the below conversation starter questions with your patients.
- “Do you have any general health concerns you would like to address today?”
- “How do you feel in your body at the moment?”
- “What does ‘healthy weight’ mean to you?”
- “Do you have any health related goals for this year?”
- “What are some of your personal goals for this year and are there any health concerns that might influence them?”
- “What does ‘healthy eating’ mean to you?”
- “I’d like to learn more about your eating habits. What kinds of foods and beverages do you eat and drink on a typical day?”
- “Do you eat only when you’re hungry, or do you eat for other reasons as well, such as feeling stressed or bored?”
- “Do you enjoy physical activity?” “If not, tell me more about it.”
- “What kinds of activities do you enjoy? Do you like walking/seated aerobics/swimming? Do you prefer activities you can do alone, with someone else, or in a group?”
- “How much time do you spend sitting each day? Would you like to try to work some physical activity into your daily routine?”
Everyone working in primary health care can play an important role in promoting a healthy lifestyle to patients.
As multicomponent interventions addressing all three lifestyle areas related to overweight and obesity (nutrition, physical activity and psychological approaches to behavioural change) are most effective, the opportunity for cross-sector collaboration presents itself.
Coming together as an industry to brainstorm awareness activities and exchange knowledge will foster multidisciplinary approaches.
Bounce has collated recorded webinars to fuel food for thought and expand on knowledge:
- Clinicians Guide to Paediatric Obesity Care
- Diet interventions to prevent and manage adolescent obesity
- Pillars of Obesity Management: What can we learn from other National Guidelines?
- The science of Nutrition and Weight for Health Professionals Session 2 (Nutrition Communication)
- The science of Nutrition and Weight Loss for Health Professionals Session 1 (The science of weight loss)
Bounce Into Better Health and Wellbeing sources, checks, and collates information and resources to allow primary health professionals guide their patients to make informed choices for a healthier lifestyle.
Engaging your patients will become easier and less time consuming with the below tools.
We invite our partners to feature their company logos alongside the Bounce logo on our marketing collateral for co-promotion and collaborative purposes. Please feel free to include your logo either next to or below the Bounce logo, in accordance with your branding guidelines.