Domestic and Family Violence Primary Care Action Plan
Last updated May 15, 2023
Are you prepared if a patient discloses Domestic Family Violence?
Upload the DFV Primary Care Action Plan today.
The Action Plan has been designed specifically for general practice to:
- Identify patients who require an immediate crisis response
- Create a safety plan
- Securely link for triage and support
This Action Plan doubles as a referral to your DFV Local Link / WDVCAS and can be sent via Medical Objects and/or fax.
The DFV Primary Care Action Plan should be used following identification or disclosure of Domestic Family Violence and Abuse risk.
The DFV Action Plan has three components:
Patient details and contact safety
Identifies all parties involved including children and the appropriate safe methods for all services to contact the patient.
Risk Assessment, Safety Planning and Follow-up
Divided into three parts (A, B and C), the risk assessment, safety planning and follow up sections are conducted alongside the patient in the appointment to ensure risk factors of DFV are identified, responded to through referrals and by safety planning directly with the patient. This also includes ongoing follow-up appointments to identify changes in risk factors and ensure current safety responses are appropriate.
Patient Plan and Referral
Completed with the patient to provide treatment and support through referrals corresponding to any identified patient needs or goals. Additionally, this page includes the recording of patient consent for referrals, as well as patient review for ongoing follow-up.
To learn more about how to use the DFV Action Plan, please see the Action Plan Guide below and view the Action Plan in Practice Video
The DFV GP Action Plan should not be conducted in the presence of children under the age of two, as they may hear recounts of violence and or place the victim at risk by telling the person using violence about the disclosure. Please consider asking your reception or nursing staff to supervise children whilst completing this privately with the parent.
DFV Primary Care Action Plan Download, Templates and Tutorials
The DFV Primary CareAction Plan Template is available for use in Best Practice Premier and Medical Director. Please see DFV GP Action Plan and Instructions below separated by BP Premier and Medical Director. Additionally, when appropriate a PDF fillable version is available.
Best Practice Premier Action Plan
Best Practice Premier Instructions and Tutorial
- How to import the DFV Primary Care Action Plan to Best Practice Premier
- BP Summary Sheet DFV Importing Template
- How to generate a DFV Primary Care Action Plan in Best Practice Premier
- BP Summary Sheet DFV Action Plan Generating Template (Attachment)
- Instruction video for DFV Primary Care Action Plan template use in BP Premier
Medical Director Action Plan
Medical Director Instructions and Tutorial
- How to import the DFV Primary Care Action Plan to Medical Director.
- MD Summary Sheet DFV Importing Template
- How to generate a DFV Primary Care Action Plan in Medical Director
- MD Summary Sheet DFV Action Plan Generating Template (Attachment)
- Instruction video for DFV Primary Care Action Plan template use in MD
DFV Action Plan Fillable PDF
Sending to LCP via Medical Objects Instructions
- How to send the DFV Primary Care Action Plan to Local Coordination Point (LCP) via Secure messaging using Medical Objectives.
- DFV Primary Care Action Plan Send via Medical Objectives Instructions (Attachment)