The Closing The Gap (CTG) Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) Co-Payment program
Last updated October 3, 2023
The Closing The Gap (CTG) Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) Co-Payment program was established in July 2010 to improve access to affordable PBS medicines for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people living with, or at risk of, chronic disease, and who in their doctor’s opinion would experience setbacks in the prevention or ongoing management of chronic disease if they did not take the prescribed medicine and would be unlikely to adhere to their medicines regimen without assistance through the program.
When obtaining PBS General Schedule medicines at their local pharmacy, eligible general patients who would normally pay the full PBS co-payment will pay the concessional rate and those eligible patients who would normally pay the concessional rate receive their PBS medicines without being required to pay a PBS co‑payment.
Complementing this Program and recognising that there may not be pharmacies available to dispense in some remote areas, the Remote Area Aboriginal Health Services (RAAHS) Program allows clients of approved RAAHS to receive medicines from their RAAHS, without the need for a normal PBS prescription form, and without charge. For more information, please visit the Services Australia or the Department of Health and Aged Care
CTG PBS Co-Payment Resources
- CTG PBS Co-Payment Program Frequently Asked Questions
- Factsheet for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People
- Factsheet for Community Pharmacies
- Factsheet for Hospital Pharmacies
- Factsheet for Prescribers
- How to register for an individual PRODA account
- How to register a patient for Closing the Gap (CTG) PBS Co-Payment
- The Indigenous Health Incentive Guidelines
- RACGP Cultural Awareness and Cultural Safety Training
- How to Register a patient for the CTG PBS Co-Payment Program – this video shows you step by step how to register a patient for the CTG PBS Co-Payment Program via PRODA.
- Learning Module: CTG PBS Co-Payment Program - Services Australia have provided a learning module available on the Closing the Gap (CTG) Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) Co-Payment Program if you would like further information.