Last updated July 17, 2023
GP Psychiatry Support Line
Our PHN funds the GP Psychiatry Support Line which supports GPs to manage clients with mental health concerns appropriately in primary care.
The service is free for GPs and provides consultation and advice from a psychiatrist around a range of queries including: diagnosis; medication management; referral options; risk assessment and safety planning.
More details are available on the providers website.
Central Access and Referral Service
To develop capacity and improve integration of the Stepped Care Model across our region we have co-designed a Central Access and Referral Service that assesses and facilitates client referrals to appropriate service types.
The stepped care model provides a continuum of services that offer patients a range of interventions based on their clinical presentation and need.
Services available include:
- Level 1: Self-Management - e.g. Head to Health website
- Level 2: Low intensity interventions – e.g. - MindHealth service
- Level 3: Moderate intensity services – e.g. – access to a Psychologist
- Level 4: High intensity services – e.g. – access to specialist services
- Level 5: Acute and Specialist Community Mental Health Services – Tertiary inpatient or community-based programs
General Practice remains at the centre of the client’s care-journey. A GP Referral and Mental Health Treatment Plan is still be required to access services. While clients have the option to self-refer, they are directed back to their GP as part of the process to ensure their clinical needs are appropriately addressed.
More details are available on the links below.
Mind Health Service Connect Line
The PHN has commissioned Mind Health Service Connect Line to connect those who need access to mental, social or physical health (psychosocial) services or support.
Anyone who requires support to navigate and access appropriate services is eligible to use this phone service.
- Formal Supports – paid professionals and supports
- GPs and clinical service providers
The PHN’s 2018 Psychosocial Support Needs Assessment found that a large proportion of people with psychosocial support needs required the support of a service navigator.
To access this service please call 1300 029 131 or visit